Bộ Đề thi HSG + Đáp Án Tiếng Anh (Đề mới)
Đề thi Học sinh giỏi lớp 9
Môn: Tiếng Anh
Thời gian: 150 phút (khơng kể thời gian phát đề)
I) Circle the word that has a different sound from the others of each group.
1) a-tool b-moon c-soon d-cook
2) a-population b-hope c-compose d-control
3) a-happened b-crossed c-followed d-fluttered
4) a-proud b-about c-around d-would
5) a-hour b-honor c-host d-honest
6) a-meeting b-seen c-cheer d-been
7) a-fear b-tear c-bear d-hear
8) a-think b-though c-thing d-thumb
9) a-publish b-popular c-documentary d-refuse
10) a-sew b-few c- drew d-news
II) Choose and circle the correct answer for each sentence. (2,5ms)
1) Mathematics and Literature are _____ subjects in high school.
a) adding b) compulsory c) optional d) religious
2) I wish they ____ here tomorrow.
a) will come b) would come c) come d) came
3) The national dress of Indian women is _____.
a) kimono b) ao dai c) sari d) jeans
4) Marie Curie _____ the Nobel Prize for physics in 1903.
a) award b) awarded c) has awarded d) was awarded
5) There is a small bamboo _____ at the entrance to the village.
a) forest b) forestation c) forest ranger d) forestry
6) She said that she _____ learning English with you.
a) like b) liking c) liked d) likes
7) They asked me how many children _____.
a) I had b) had I c) I have d) have I
8) My father _____ teaching in a small village 10 years ago.
a) start b) starts c) has started d) started
9) This restaurant has the _____ for serving some of European food.
a) repute b) reputation c) reputed d) reputable
10) She told me she _____ go to Hanoi the following day.
a) will have to b) has to c) would have to d) had to
III) Complete the following sentences with an appropriate form of the word in
1) Some young people today have a very strange ___________. (appear)
2) He always wears a __________ shirt. (stripe)
3) They have just ___________ a new style of jeans in the USA. (introduction)
4) He is a famous stamp __________. (collect)
5) It was an ___________ day. (enjoy)
6) They ________ me to join their family to Hue last year. (invitation)
7) There is a ___________ lot near my house. (park)
8) I am fond of _________ to the movie on Sundays. (go)
9) Many designers took ____________ from Vietnam’s ethnic minorities.
10) You should ___________ for an hour. (relaxation)
IV) Rewrite the following sentences without changing the meaning. (3ms)
1) How long is it since you saw Tom?
- When ________________________________________________________?
2) No one could help him.
3) They have worked in that factory since 2001.
- They started ___________________________________________________
4) He is too young to go to school alone.
- He ___________________________________________________________
5) Peter said to me “Can I borrow you some money? I want to buy this hat.”
- Peter asked me _________________________________________________
6) He can’t pass the exam.
- He wishes _____________________________________________________
V) Do as directed in parentheses. (3ms)
1) This house was built in 1995. (Change into active voice)
2) “Where were you last night?” the police asked him. (Change into reported
3) I am learning English for four years. (Correct the mistake in the sentence and
rewrite the sentence)
4) Ba and his friends often go away ______ the weekend. (Complete the
sentences with an appropriate preposition)
5) The hotel was very noisy. They couldn’t sleep. (Combine into one sentence
using so … that)
6) Jim __________ (not meet) me when he came to Viet Nam last summer.
(Supply the correct verb form)
VI) Use the following sets of words and phrases to write sentences. (2ms)
1) I went / school / age / six.
2) It / important / you / stop / smoke / at once.
3) He / start / cook / ten minutes ago.
4) I wish / go / beach / you / last Sunday.
VII) Read the passage below. (2ms)
During the last Christmas holidays, a group of my classmates decided to
have an excursion to Johore Bahru. I was elected as the leader and did the
burden of making arrangement for the trip fell on my shoulders.
We left early in the morning by the first Singapore – Johore express bus
and reached the customs cheeks-points half an hour later. From the customs we
went by a chartered van to the Johore Bahru seaside. As it was clear sunny day
we had decided to have a dip in the water. For nearly an hour we enjoyed the
bath much to our satisfaction.
By the time our sea-bath was over. It was about 9 am and we had an
appetizing breakfast, with sandwiches, cakes and coffee which we carried along
with us. Then we relaxed under a shady tree for a while. Later we visited the zoo
we had some fun there with the monkeys in cages. Then went round the tour for
sightseeing. By the time, our sightseeing was over, it was about 1 p.m. We had a
sumptuous lunch of chicken rice and returned home by bus.
* Complete the summary with the missing words.
During the last Christmas holidays, the writer and ___________ (1) had an
interesting excursion in __________ (2). She was elected ___________ (3) so
she was responsible for making arrangement __________ (4). First they took the
first __________ (5) to the customs cheek-points then went by a ________ (6)
to the Johore Bahru sea-side. They had a __________ (7) there. Next they
visited ___________ (8) and enjoyed themselves there too. After that they made
__________ (9) around the city for sightseeing and then returned home
____________ (10). They had really lovely holidays.
VIII) Read the following passage and then put a circle round the letter of the
correct words to complete each sentence which follows. (3ms)
Keeping our teeth healthy
It’s very important to have healthy teeth. Good teeth help us to chew our
food. They also help us to look nice.
How does a tooth go bad? The decay begins in a little crack in the enamel
covering of the tooth. This happens after germs and bits of food have collected
there. Then the decay slowly spreads inside the tooth. Eventually, poison goes
into the blood, and we may feel quite ill.
How can we keep our teeth healthy? First, we ought to visit our dentist
twice a year. He can fill the small holes in our teeth before they destroy the
teeth. He can examine our teeth to check that they are growing in the right way.
Unfortunately, many people wait until they have toothache before they see a
Secondly, we should brush our teeth with a toothbrush and fluoride
toothpaste at least twice a day once after breakfast and once before we go to bed.
We can also use wooden toothpicks to clean between our teeth after a meal.
Thirdly, we should eat food that is good for or teeth and our body: milk,
cheese, fish, brown bread, potatoes, red rice, raw vegetables and fresh fruit.
Chocolate, sweets, biscuits and cakes are bad, especially when we eat them
between meals. They are harmful because they stick to our teeth and cause
1) Good teeth help us _______.
a) be nice b) have good eyesight
c) chew our food d) be important
2) When food and germs collect in a small crack, our teeth _________.
a) become hard b) begin to decay
c) send poison into the blood d) make us feel quite ill
3) A lot people visit a dentist only when __________.
a) their teeth grow properly b) they have holes in their teeth
c) they have toothache d) they have brushed their teeth
4) We ought to try to clean our teeth __________.
a) once a day b) at least twice a day
c) between meals d) before breakfast
5) We shouldn’t eat a lot of _________.
a) red rice b) fresh fruit
c) fish d) chocolate
6) Sweets are harmful because they make our teeth ___________.
a) black b) ache
c) bad d) cracked
HƯỚNG DẪN CHẤM MÔN TIẾNG ANH 9
I) Mỗi câu đúng 0,2đ
1-d 2-a 3-b 4-d 5-c
6-c 7-c 8-b 9-a 10-a
II) Mỗi câu đúng 0,25đ
1-b 2-b 3-c 4-d 5-a
6-c 7-a 8-d 9-b 10-c
III) Mỗi câu đúng 0,25đ
1-appearance 2-striped 3-collector 4-enjoyable
5-parking 6-going 7-inspiration 8-introduced
IV) Mỗi câu đúng 0,5đ
1) When did you see Tom?
2) He couldn’t be helped.
3) They started to work in that factory in 2001
4) - He is so young that he can’t go to school alone.
(- He is very young, so he can’t go to school alone.)
5) Peter asked me if he could borrow me some money because she wanted to buy that
6) He wishes he could pass the exam.
V) Mỗi câu đúng 0,5đ
1) They built this house in 1995.
2) The police asked him where he had been the night before.
3) I have learnt English for four year.
5) The hotel was so noisy that they couldn’t sleep.
6) didn’t meet
VI) Mỗi câu đúng 0,5đ
1) I went to school at the age of six.
2) It’s important that you should stop (stop) smoking at once.
3) He started cooking ten minutes ago.
4) I wish I had gone to the beach with you last Sunday.
VII) Mỗi câu đúng 0,2đ
1-her classmates 2-Johore Bahru 3-as the leader
4-for the trip 5-Sigapore – Johore express bus 6-a charted van
7-very good time 8-the zoo 9-a sight-seeing 10-by bus
VIII) Mỗi câu đúng 0,5đ.
1-c 2-b 3-c 4-b 5-d 6-c
Đề thi Học sinh giỏi lớp 9